Mia Qing Wilson

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Gotcha Day One Year Later

Gotcha Day Dec. 19th, 2011

First Touch




Mia Joy Qing Wilson



Years ago I opened a fortune cookie that read "Seek Joy".   Little did I know that my joy would come in the form of a precious nine year old from Hubei, China.  As I write this blog today I am on day five of the flu.  Mia is home sick too.  So is Baba.  Not how I envisioned the day.  However, her first words this morning were "Today is my Gotcha Day.  What we do today mama?"  Even as sick as she is she knows that today is special.  

Last week Mia was getting ready to go to the bus stop.  It was cold outside and we both had on our coats.  She looked at me and said "That is the coat you had on when you first touched me." I looked at her and said "That is the coat you had on that day too."  For a moment in time we were transported back to a memory  that cannot be described with words.   That is what is so special about adopting an older child.  I would have thought nothing about what we were wearing.  In fact, I was probably lost in the hustle and bustle of getting off to school.  But not Mia.  She sees life through different eyes and a completely different pace than I do.  That's what I love about her.  She keeps me grounded in the moment.

The year has not been without struggles.  We have had eye surgery and countless doctor visits.  Fortunately she has gained six pounds and has grown two inches. Amazing what love and proper nutrition can do.  Older children do come with personalities and traits already intact.  However, I can honestly say that it has truly been an easy year.  The only issue as a parent I have had to face is her independence.  Being an older child in an orphanage she had to fend for herself.  We struggle a bit when it comes to her independence.  She doesn't want my help most times and at first it hurt my feelings.  When we are at church or around friends she is very independent and likes to be around other people.  She has an infectious smile and has many friends of all ages.  I  have learned to let her go and realize this is just who she is.  Miss social butterfly who brings joy to many people.  

Looking forward to spending our first Christmas at home together as a family.  She knows it is Jesus' birthday and is excited that we get to spend it together.  Can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for us in the coming  year.  


"Joy is the direct result of having God's perspective
 on our daily lives and the effect of loving our Lord enough to obey His commands and trust His promises."
Bill Bright

Seek Joy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment